Hackers can do a lot of damage to a website if they gain unauthorized access. Here are some of the things that hackers can do to a website:
- Deface the Website: Defacing a website means changing the website’s content or appearance without permission, often with the intention of displaying a message or promoting a particular cause. This can be done by exploiting vulnerabilities in the website’s code or gaining access to the website’s administrator account.
- Steal Sensitive Data: Hackers can steal sensitive data such as customer information, financial information, and intellectual property. This can be done through various methods such as SQL injection, cross-site scripting (XSS), or by exploiting vulnerabilities in the website’s code.
- Install Malware: Malware is a type of software designed to harm or gain unauthorized access to a computer system. Hackers can install malware on a website, which can infect visitors’ computers or steal their information. This can be done by exploiting vulnerabilities in the website’s code or by gaining access to the website’s files.
- Create a Backdoor: A backdoor is a method of bypassing normal authentication and gaining unauthorized access to a system. Hackers can create a backdoor to the website, allowing them to gain future access to the website, steal data, or carry out attacks. This can be done by exploiting vulnerabilities in the website’s code or by creating a new user account with administrative privileges.
- Conduct DDoS Attacks: A Distributed Denial of Service (DDoS) attack is a type of cyber attack where multiple compromised systems are used to target a single system, such as a website, with a flood of traffic, making it unavailable to its users. Hackers can use the website as a part of a DDoS attack, making it appear that the website is the source of the attack.
- Host Malicious Content: Hackers can use the website to host malicious content, such as phishing sites or malware downloads, to attack other websites or users. This can be done by adding new pages to the website or by exploiting vulnerabilities in the website’s code to inject malicious content.
- Manipulate Search Rankings: Search engine optimization (SEO) is the process of optimizing a website to rank higher in search engine results pages (SERPs). Hackers can manipulate the website’s search rankings by adding spammy links or using black-hat SEO techniques, damaging the website’s reputation and search visibility. This can be done by exploiting vulnerabilities in the website’s code or by creating fake accounts to build links to the website.
Overall, it’s important to be aware of these potential threats and take proactive measures to protect your website from cyber attacks. This includes keeping your software up-to-date, using strong passwords, implementing security measures such as firewalls and antivirus software, and regularly monitoring your website for suspicious activity.
Read more here:
Top Biggest cyber-attacks in the 21st century
Hacking statistics for 2019